Monday, 4 July 2016

My First Hat!

Inspired by this ladies blog, which I found when browsing Pinterest, I decided to have a go at making a hat.   I call it my 'Sylvia' hat as it is made from a straw hat belonging to Aunty Sylvia.  This is how it went:

I cut off the crown from the brim.
Whip stitched wire (I used fuse wire as that's all I had in the house) around the base of the crown to give it stability.

Covered the rough edges with bias binding:

Then pleated a scarf over the top and stitched it down:

I'm afraid I got carried away and forgot to take photos. Basically I cut the excess edges off the scarf.  Then used this to trim the hat.  Added a feather, a ribbon bow, a fascinator headband and this is how it turned out

Really enjoyed doing this and will probably make more once I find a few straw hats, but watch this space as I've already started making a second hat using the brim from this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment