Pheasant Fascinator - how's that for a tongue twister! Whilst at a Vintage day recently I saw a similar hat/fascinator for sale but unfortunately it was out of my price league. I came home and researched materials and discovered I could make something similar for half the price.
I made this in just one day. All the materials came from Ebay. Materials: pheasant wing & tail feathers, fascinator base, fascinator band, fabric glue and some thread.
I actually made the skirt and blouse, as well as the coat in this picture. I wasn't happy with the skirt and it has now gone to the charity shop. The blue coat however I'm extremely proud of. When I began sewing 2 years ago never did I imagine that I'd ever make anything like this!
Whip stitched wire (I used fuse wire as that's all I had in the house) around the base of the crown to give it stability.
Covered the rough edges with bias binding:
Then pleated a scarf over the top and stitched it down:
I'm afraid I got carried away and forgot to take photos. Basically I cut the excess edges off the scarf. Then used this to trim the hat. Added a feather, a ribbon bow, a fascinator headband and this is how it turned out
Really enjoyed doing this and will probably make more once I find a few straw hats, but watch this space as I've already started making a second hat using the brim from this one!